one Person at a Time
NOT On My Watch, INC
Not on My Watch (NOMW) was started in the fall of 2009 by Herbert Burnett shortly after the death of 15 year old Kiwane Carrington by the hands of a Champaign police officer. The fact that some of the city officials tried to shift
the blame of who was held accountable for this terrible tragedy triggered the desire to create an organization that would generate a spirit of accountability and genuine concern for each other.
After serving 20 years in the military, the motto “I am responsible for everything that happens or fails to happen on my watch” was heard by Mr. Burnett a million times. After his retirement from the Army in 2006, he felt it was time to put this attitude to work in the community. As a result, Not on My Watch came into existence.
Leadership Development Academy (LDA)
- Before school and summer program that focuses on the development of children. Sessions include guest speakers, weekly team building sessions, and goal setting and leadership skills.
Brothers Lets Talk (B.L.T)
- 10 – 100 members in less than 30 days
- Quality guest speakers who could connect with the individuals
- Established multi-generational relationships and connections
1000 Men Praying/1000 Families Praying
- Father of the Year Awards
- Encouraged and celebrated father involvement in the homes
- Brought families together in prayer and unity for the sake of the community
Coaching Your Kids into Destiny
- Central IL high school coaches shared their personal stories about the student-athlete
process as well of collegiate careers and professional sports careers.
- Speakers discussed what it takes to succeed academically and athletically at the college level.
Backbone of the Home
- Honored and recognized women who were active in their homes, communities